Sunday, March 6, 2011

Mama's Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Obese!

I had 50 kid's in my Zumbatomic (kids Zumba) class yesterday and it was so exciting! Their little faces said it all, pure fun! These boys and girls were not concerned about what they looked like, how many calories they where burning, or if there heart rate was in its target range. They just wanted to dance! All they know at this point is their body is meant to jump, wiggle, skip, run, hop, turn.....MOVE. Why do we squash that? At what point does sit down and be quiet trump everything else. I am so guilty of constantly asking my son to calm down. Yes, they need to learn self control, but they also need to know it's okay to move and it's fun!

No one means to help their child on a path to obesity, but we do map it out for them when we are not the example. I have already started paving the road for my daughter because she has seen her parents give every reason not to move and indulge in what ever makes you feel content for that moment. My hopes are that she will now see it is never too late to change your mind.

Childhood obesity is an epidemic that we can change and control. My goal is to dig up any path I may have laid for my children and REROUTE!

1 comment:

  1. I wish we could get Zumbatomic into my school. I know my first graders would LOVE it!

    (P.S. I don't know if you are still able to help me do a Zumba class with my Young Women's group, but if you can...How would April 13 work for you?)

    ReplyDelete